Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Recently I had to write a paper for class on a trend in the industry. If you know me, you know I am big into cooking from scratch and since moving in with my new husband, plus having my mom move in with us, I have since done away with anything that comes pre-made form a box or a can. There are a few exceptions, the occasional quick Mac N Cheese, beans and tomatoes. Otherwise, if I make it, you know it is all scratch. So my topic for class was easy to choose. I decided on the Farm-to-Table movement. Maybe you heard of it with a different name like Farm-to-Fork or even Farm-to-Plate? The concept is easy, purchase local products that are in season so that we maintain the food's natural health benefits and their nutritional quality, while also helping to improve the economy of our local markets and ensuring that our food is safe to eat. We also avoid any GMO's in our foods, encourage diversity of foods that are regional to our area and decrease any environmental impact of mass food production. Who doesn't want food that tastes better, is healthier for you and helps our local economy? My research led me to many farms in our area that are seasonal farms. If the farms have livestock, most are grass grazing. They exist? What? Yes! More and more restaurants are getting into the movement all over the country and they are utilizing farms from Wisconsin, Illinois and Indiana, joining Seafood Watch Programs to ensure our seafood is healthy and sustainable; and if it is not local, you can be assured that the ingredients are coming from sustainable farms elsewhere. I can't get into the Vegan, Vegetarian, Plant Based, Paleo or any kind of diet. I believe in moderation! So don't fear that I will get all preachy on you. However, wouldn't you want something fresh and healthy on your table? 

 If you haven't been to one of these local restaurants hit them up!

  • One Eleven Main in Galena
  • the Harvest Cafe in Delevan
  • Season's 52 in Oakbrook and Schaumburg
  • the North Pond in Chicago
  • The Bank in Wheaton
  • TWO Restaurant and Bar in Chicago 
I will add more as I get them in. 

Local farms? There were so many! One stuck out and let me interview them on the phone. 
  • Kinnikinnick Farm in Caledonia, Illinois
    • they have been growing seasonal produce since 1994 and not only to they supply to local restaurants, they sell at two local Farmer's Markets - the Green City Market in Lincoln Park and the Evanston Farmer's Market.

No comments:

Post a Comment