Monday, July 22, 2013

Other than food...is there such a thing?

I have been spending my summer off of school actually preparing for my Fall Semester. I know that sounds crazy but it is very true. I have recipe's that I have been saying I will organize for the last couple of years and they have multiplied in the last year since I got married. My husband's family has been gracious enough to share their Swedish recipe's with me. Imagine having over 1,000 recipes to organizing that you have been collecting or that have been handed down ever since you were 14. I am 38 now, you do the math...

So here I am, organizing all my recipes in one place as many as I can until Fall Semester approaches. I also had emails to catch up on, hundreds, and school work to organize and put away. I have 13 to 17 semester credits each semester and that can be anywhere from 4 to 6 classes each semester. (I don't want to be in school forever.) I am in school nearly 4 days a week for more than 8 hours a day. After school, I have dinner to make, a house to clean, email to check, homework to do. It really is a full time job and then some. I have no idea how some of my classmates work PT or FT jobs on top of going to culinary school. Perhaps they live at home? I just know it takes me 2 weeks to relax at the end of each semester.

I also spend time reading culinary books, researching other blog sites, reading about food photograph, reading culinary magazines; and then there is my personal Facebook and Email; Forkly Speaking's Facebook, Blog, Instagram, Email and Twitter; cooking for my blog and home; house work, laundry, and time with my husband when he is home. My summer is by no means boring. I don't remember a day where I did absolutely nothing except for the first 2 weeks of my summer break when I was very sick. (Not even since I started my journey in Culinary School.) My cell phone, laptop and tablet are my work horse and I would honestly be lost without them, or well, any one of them.

Food is my life. I write about food in hopes that when I graduate I can say to a potential employer, "Hey, I have kept a blog since starting Culinary School." Chef's spend a lot of their free time doing research, reading, taking continuing ed courses, and helping friends at their restaurants. So why not train myself now to live my life the same way? Nothing is worse than being in a room with people in your profession and not have something to donate to a conversation or understand the latest trend.

I do have a life and it involves...food! You guessed right. Spending time with friends and family always involves a good meal and I really do like it when I don't have to cook. Nothing beats getting to eat something you did not have to cook. Whether it be a great restaurant or someone else's dining room table. Food brings us all together. :)

Hope you all had a great weekend. I am still working on a new format just weeding through some things.

No comments:

Post a Comment