Sunday, June 2, 2013

A Birthday dinner for my husband.


I got home late last night and started my husband birthday dinner for Monday night. We will be having Refried Beans Stuffed Poblanos, Rice, and Pork Enchiladas. Last night I soaked the beans while I slept. 3 cups of water per 1/2 pounds of dry beans. It is much cheaper and tastes way better than buying them in the can! I woke up at 6am, after 7 hours of them soaking and put them to warm. Then I marinated the pork and went back to bed. Here is what they looked like at 7am. The only ingredients I added, aside from water, was an onion (minced) and some minced garlic.


When I got up around Noon, hey, don't judge, I was tired, I cooked two sticks of chorizo and added them to the beans for a little kick. We love chorizo with the beans in our house. Other than that I just added a little salt to taste and let it cool a bit before I stored the beans in smaller bowls. Into the fridge they went and I was done with the beans. We did have a little taste before they were put away and all I can say is...Yum! Is it Monday yet? :) Here I am mixing in the chorizo.


For the pork marinade -  I used the juice of 2 whole limes, salt, pepper and my special dried pepper blend that I grind from dried peppers. If I gave all my secrets away, no one would come over to eat because they would all be eating at their own home. I wrapped it tightly in plastic and then placed it on the bottom shelf in the fridge at 7am. Around 2pm I put it in the crock pot with some water and it will sit and cook for about 8 hours. When the meat is done I will shred it and put it away until tomorrow. 

Come back later...I will update this post as I keep cooking. I still have mole to make today as well as roast the peppers. Tomorrow will be a whole new post of the meal and the dessert! Have a great day everyone!!!



This was the pork after it was done. I tried to get a pic of it whole but the moment I tried to lift it out of the crock pot, it fell apart. So I shredded it in moments and put it away for today. I woke up very early this morning and didn't remember to take pictures of the stuffed peppers but, I do have a picture of the final meal! All I had to do was assemble the enchiladas and the peppers, pop them in the over at 350 F for 35 minutes.


Here you go...Pork Enchilada's with Mole and Chihuahua Cheese, Refried Bean stuffed Poblano and Refried Beans. There was Guacamole made, then it was eaten. Sorry, no pictures but if my husband is as awesome as I know he is, he will get me some more avocado's and green onions and I will make it later this week and give you all the recipe. It really is amazing! You are probably wondering about the rice. Sorry, I took a little break to sit down and ran out of time. No one noticed and/or cared! :)

Hungry yet? :)


No comments:

Post a Comment