Saturday, June 1, 2013

A wonderful find...

Sometime in March...yes, that long ago, was Chef's week all over the City of Chicago. I was able to enjoy a dinner with my husband and my best friend RC at Balena. I had been dying to go there for sometime and RC made that happen! :) She knows the Chef and got us a table. I have to say I was very impressed. Valet parking, courteous staff and a much larger place than what you can tell from the outside. The place is a modern take on being rustic and definitely a very unique experience. They managed to keep the old brick in tact as well. Before I forget to mention, that food was amazing too!

For starters we ordered the Herb Focaccia, Ricotta Burrata di Panna and the Margarita Pizza. We shared everything, very reluctantly, I am, wait that was me who was being selfish. :) While we waited for our main entry to arrive, the Chef was awesome enough to bring out a couple of things for us to try, on the house of course. The Rigatoni Pork Ragu and the Hen Egg Tajarin were brought to our table and fought over until the last bite was consumed.The favorite seemed to the Rigatoni Pork Ragu, however, I loved both and yes, you guessed it, I was the one with the last bite of each! :) I have issues and I am aware of it.

Our meals were individual, actually, not so much, we shared everything. With the exception of me counting who took how much of what. What can I say? The food was just that good! :) We ordered the Ravioli, a 36 oz Bistecca with a Roasted Garlic Head (for my husband and I), Baked Polenta with Tomato Fondue and lastly, a Sweet Onion Gratinato. Now, my husband and I are not big fans of the onion but the Sweet Onion Gratinato was delicious!! RC wasn't into sharing all of it but it was very kind of her to let us have a taste. The Bistecca was done to medium and the crust on the outside was this beautiful salt, pepper, spice crunch that was truly an orgasm in one's mouth. I kid you not!! The Polenta was good, I was hoping for a little more moisture, it seemed a little dry to me but sometimes that happens with Polenta or really any dish. Not everything can be perfect all the time on any table.

For dessert we had the Tiramisu and the Pistachio Gelati. No one shared because Chef was kind enough to bring out a refreshing Grape Fruit Sobetti just for me! :) I have a tree nut allergy that we told the waitress about when we walked in (the Chef's menu had tons of nuts on it and so we ordered a la carte) she remembered and he remembered. Made the experience all that more wonderful. Dessert was just as wonderful as the meal itself. If you get the chance head on over to Balena. I can't wait to go back!!

Balena
1633 North Halsted St.
Chicago, IL
60614
(312) 867-3888
www.balenachicago.com

No comments:

Post a Comment