Saturday, June 15, 2013

The sweet side of Guacamole...


On Wednesday we had tostadas for dinner. Nothing fancy, I had two more bowls of leftover refried beans from my husbands birthday dinner that needed to get eaten.So instead of a salad topping, I made my half mashed, half chunky sweet guacamole.

Ingredients:
2 avocados (dark = ripe)
cherry tomatoes (1 carton will do)
1 sweet pepper (I like Ancient Sweets)
1 bunch of green onions
The juice from 2 small limes
2 to 3 garlic cloves (minced)
salt
pepper
2 tsps of olive oil

You want to make sure you chop the cherry tomatoes, sweet pepper, and green onions very fine into small dices. Then add everything into a bowl. Mash to your desired consistency and enjoy!!!

I was able to have a couple of tablespoons right after I first made it to taste all the flavors. I went back to the fridge to get more the next day and it was all gone. I did not put any on my tostadas. I was not very hungry at dinner time and now I wish I had some. My guacamole lasts as long as chocolate does in our house. I should have made twice the amount and I made a very large bowl of it. I never learn...

Now you can certainly switch out the cherry tomatoes for regular tomatoes but if you are going to do that I would suggest a roma tomato, however, any tomato will do. Taking out the cherry tomato will remove some of the sweetness in the guacamole. 

If you are looking to add heat you can certainly switch out the sweet pepper. This was my first time using Ancient Sweets. I usually just use a red pepper but it wasn't in stock that night. So if your store doesn't carry the Ancient Sweet, don't fret and don't be afraid to try something new. The best part about cooking, is always experimenting with different flavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment